Sunday 27 September 2009

The Growing Popularity of Stand Up Comedy

It seems everyone is going stand up crazy, more so now than ever before. This isn't surprising considering the amount of entertaining and inspiring comedians we have out there at the moment such as Jimmy Carr, Michael McIntyre and Lee Evans to name but a few. But despite the sudden interest, British stand up comedy has been around for quite a while now, first starting in the music halls of the 18th and 19th centuries. These music halls saw comedy greats such as Morecambe & Wise, Arthur Askey and Max Miller rise to fame.

Theory has it that stand up comedy has grown in popularity due to the current climate; people have been so depressed with the credit crunch that they have resorted to the best possible medicine, "laughter". Some people don't just stop at admiring this form of entertainment from a distance but the poor souls subject themselves to gruelling criticism by attempting it themselves and I admire their courage. So when my friend Paul told me that he wanted to try stand up comedy, I was sceptical to say the least... in fact I laughed.'Was he serious' I would keep asking myself! but as a true friend I would offer words of encouragement and support.

Paul signed up for one of the best comedy workshops in London run by Logan Murray www.loganmurray.com who has been in the comedy industry for over 20 years and certainly knows his stuff. After weeks of preparing material and improving his techniques he was ready to face a real audience which included myself. I was feeling nervous for him as I sat glued to my chair, pondering on what I should say if he was unsuccessful. Fortunately it went very well indeed and I was left feeling guilty about expecting the worst.


Above: Paul's first performance on his graduation night.

There are many up and coming comedians out there that need your support and there are many London venues who put these comedy gigs on so look up your nearest one for a night with a difference. Check out the website for one of the best comedy venues in London to see whats on www.amusedmoose.com

Paul in now taking gig bookings ~ see his website more information: www.paulbaglin.co.uk

No comments: